10 signs your air conditioner needs to be repaired or replaced
We often take our air conditioning system for granted as we work our way through the peak heat of summer here in Northern New Jersey and lower New York State – until it starts demanding our attention, often in some not-so-subtle ways.
Below are ten signs that it’s time to repair or replace your A/C unit.
- It’s blowing warm air – Warm air coming from your vents is usually a sign that your air conditioner is either low on refrigerant or is having a problem with its compressor.
- It’s not blowing enough air – Weak airflow is often a sign that either the compressor is failing or that you have a duct leak; either way, it means less comfort for your family and that an A/C repair is more than likely in your future.
- The A/C cycles frequently – If your air conditioner runs for short lengths of time before it shuts off, it’s probably working harder than it should to keep you cool; it could also be a thermostat problem. Either way, it’s time to have a pro take a look.
- Your A/C is making unusual noises – Grinding, scraping or squealing are not good sounds for an air conditioner to make; they could be a sign that parts have worn away or broken loose. More serious repairs are almost certainly coming if you don’t take care of the problem quickly.
- Your A/C smells bad – A pungent electrical smell often means that wire insulation has burned out somewhere in your A/C system; a musty smell could mean you have a mold problem in your ductwork. Either way, you will need service.
- Your indoor air is humid – An air conditioner should reduce indoor humidity, not add to it. If your air conditioner is on and the humidity isn’t going down, your equipment probably needs a repair.
- You see fluids near your A/C unit – Fluid around your A/C unit often indicates a serious problem. For one thing, refrigerant – Freon, in older units – is poisonous; when you have a Freon leak, your air conditioner will usually blow warm air. Even water leaks indicate a problem that a professional will have to address.
- You’re getting higher energy bills – An unusually high electric bill in the summer can mean a problem ranging from duct leaks to a broken thermostat – and everything in between. You need professional detective work from an HVAC pro.
- You’re making frequent calls for service – If you and your technician have been seeing a lot of each other lately, it’s probably time to upgrade your air conditioner. You’ll save money on future repairs, reduce your energy bill, and not have to worry about anything beyond routine maintenance years to come.
- Your A/C is old – A typical central air conditioner will last 10-15 years – but that doesn’t mean it will perform well in its latter life. Much of that depends on how well the unit has been maintained from Day One. But once your air conditioner makes it past the 10 year mark, it rarely pays to fix the unit – especially when you consider the performance of today’s high efficiency HVAC systems.
Notice any of these signs in your air conditioner? Give us a call. And don’t worry: If your A/C breaks down in the midst of a long, hot summer day, we’ll be there same day with emergency service – GUARANTEED.