Why Is Changing Your Air Conditioning Filter So Important?
Routine maintenance is critical to keeping your home cooling system running at its reliable best—a big reason why we strongly recommend getting regular professional maintenance for your A/C each year.
But one of the most important preventative measures you can take for your central air conditioner is also one of the simplest. Make sure to check and replace your air filter regularly!
Replacing your air filter is a key part of that maintenance process. Here are three of the most important benefits of timely filter replacement for your HVAC system.
- Better Performance: A built up of dirt and debris in your filter can obstruct air flow, increasing the workload of your cooling system and reducing the efficiency of your equipment by as much as 15 percent.
- Fewer Breakdowns: In addition to the wear and tear caused by reduced air flow, older air filters will deteriorate, releasing fibers into the mechanical workings of your A/C system and leading to costly repairs.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: An air filter’s job is to screen out pollutants, particulates, and other allergens, protecting the quality of your indoor air. When an air filter is clogged, it can’t do that essential job. By replacing your filters regularly, your family will enjoy healthy air whenever the A/C is running.
Four Signs You Need To Change Your Air Filter
If you haven’t checked your air filter yet this summer, now is a good time to do it. If you’re looking for signs about when you should do it, here are four of the most common ones:
- There’s warm air coming from your vents: If your air conditioner isn’t cooling as it normally does or is blowing warm air, the first thing you should check is the AC filter. If you replace your air filter and the problem persists, you could have a bigger problem on your hands—contact us for service.
- Your electric bill is rising: If your electric bill is higher than normal, the culprit could be in part to a dirty air filter. Replace your air filter and see if your bills respond.
- You’re having more health issues: When the filter becomes saturated with dust, pollen, pet dander, and other pollutants, your air conditioner can circulate them throughout your home. If you’re noticing more respiratory symptoms than usual, try replacing the air filter on your A/C.
- You see more dust on or near the vents: Finding more dust on surfaces and furniture near the vents? You could have a dirty air filter. Here’s a test. Try hanging a white towel five or six inches away from a vent for an hour or two; if the sheet turns gray, your filter is dirty and needs to be replaced.
Haven’t had your air conditioner serviced in 2021? It’s not too late—especially with a scorching second half of summer predicted for the Northeast! Contact Bolkema today to schedule your routine A/C maintenance in Northern New Jersey!