Before You Call For Air Conditioning Repairs
It often happens on the hottest days: you turn on your air conditionerand…
Don’t worry – Bolkema’s expert team of repair technicians is ready for any A/C emergency, any time. Before you contact us for service, it pays to do a little detective work to see if the problem is one you can solve without paying for a house call.
Here’s a troubleshooting guide for what to do if your A/C isn’t working the way it should:
If your air conditioner isn’t working at all:
- Make sure your thermostat:
- Is set to AC, Cool or Fan
- Is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature (if it isn’t, your cooling system sensors may not detect that it’s time to get working).
- Check for tripped circuit breakers.
- A circuit breaker trips (turns off) to stop the flow of electricity and keep a circuit from overheating; reset tripped circuits and try your air conditioner again (Tip: if it isn’t already, label your A/C and other circuits for quick reference during an outage).
- Make sure all power switches are on.
- Make sure power switches that affect both the outdoor (condenser) and indoor (air handler) units are on.
If none of the above measures work, contact us for service
If your AC system turns on, but blows warm air:
- Make sure your thermostat is set properly (see #1 above).
- Make sure all vents are open and unblocked.
- Make sure all power switches are turned on (see #3 above).
- Check the outdoor condenser unit to see if it’s running. If it isn’t:
- Check the power switch (see above).
- Check the condenser’s circuit breaker (see above).
- Check for debris inside the condenser (TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST!).
- Check the indoor unit.
- Make sure the power switches are on (see above).
- Check for clogged air filters; clean or replace them if needed and try the A/C again.
If your air conditioner still blows warm air, contact us for service.
Want to know the best way to avoid most A/C problems? Sign up for a Bolkema Air Conditioning Service Plan, which includes an annual tune-up, priority service calls, and repair discounts. Contact us to sign up today!