Common A/C Problems & When To Call in a Pro
Don’t Lose Your Cool This Summer Season!
Summer can be gorgeous in northern New Jersey, but when the humidity kicks in, it can be brutal. If your air conditioning system just isn’t doing the job, follow these troubleshooting steps.
Solutions to Home Cooling Failure
Some common problems are easy to fix yourself, others may require a qualified technician.
- It won’t turn on. Start by checking that you haven’t blown a fuse or tripped the circuit breaker. If that isn’t the problem, it could be your thermostat is not set correctly or it may not be calibrated properly. Consult the manual for your thermostat and try setting your thermostat to the lowest setting. If your AC doesn’t kick on, you’ll need to call in the pros.
- Low flow. If the flow of air from your A/C vents feels weak or irregular, there may be something obstructing the airflow. Have you changed your filters lately? If new filters don’t help, give us a call.
- Constant system cycling. If your system is constantly turning on and off, it means its having trouble keeping up. One cause could be that your cooling system isn’t big enough for your home. Another cause could be a mechanical problem. Either way, constant cycling on and off will wear the system out quickly and lead to a breakdown. You’ll need to have a service technician take a look.
- Noticeably higher bills. With energy prices on the rise this season, your bills may be higher no matter what the circumstances. But older equipment that’s less energy efficient will have to work harder to do the same level work as newer systems—and that will knock energy costs up even more.
- Clicking or humming sounds. This can be a sign of a capacitor problem. Capacitors are help start and run your A/C, and when they malfunction, it can result in damage to your compressor or other parts. Checking and replacing capacitors is a job for the pros.
- Leaking compressor. Drain lines can become clogged with dirt and algae, resulting in water backing up and damaging internal parts of your cooling system. If you notice water leaking from your compressor, call us right away!
- Warm air coming from your vents. If the air flowing from your vents is warm, check for ice crystals on your A/C’s evaporator coils, it’s a sure sign of a refrigerant leak. Miniscule leaks are not unusual, and our technicians check for and repair them when they do seasonal maintenance. A leak resulting in in warm air and ice crystals indicates a bigger problem and we need to check it out.
Local, Professional A/C Services Right Nearby in NJ & NY
Of course, the best way to avoid a major A/C meltdown is to schedule seasonal maintenance. Regular maintenance keeps your system running at peak efficiency, so your home stays cooler while saving you money. Our technicians are skilled at catching small problems and fixing them before they lead to an expensive system breakdown. Ask about our cooling system service plans: They include seasonal maintenance, priority service if you do need a repair, plus a discount on parts and labor.
And, if you do have a problem, you can’t—or don’t want to—tackle yourself, we’re at your service. Our trained, in-house technicians will find the root of the issue and address it completely the first time. Contact Bolkema Fuels for more information today.