Is Your Water Heater Failing? Know the Signs
Find out if your water heater is in good shape — or about to go on the fritz!
The last thing you want to get stuck without during a chilly winter season is hot water! Here, we’ll help get you familiar with some of the ins and outs of how your water heater functions—which can help you decipher whether your water heater is in fine working order or set to cause pricey problems in the not-too-distant future.
After all, this unsung hero of a home appliance needs to dependably heat water in your cold basement all year long, preparing it to pump your supply through the pipes so everyone in your household can enjoy long, hot showers, as well as clean clothes and dishes.
Warning Signs of Water Heater Trouble
If your water heater is more than 10 years old, it may be closing in on retirement. Fortunately, there are warning signs smart homeowners can be on the alert for. To act, consider these tips for keeping on top of your water heater health:
- Look Out for Leaks: If you notice even a small puddle below your water heater or rusty water on the outside, the unit could be corroding on the inside—a potential early sign of a tank failure. The damage caused by a failing water tank is typically more than $4K, so you’re better off replacing it before such pricey—not to mention messy—problems occur.
- Check Your Energy Bills: Have your utility bills been increasing lately, even if fuel prices haven’t drastically changed? This may be an indication that your water heater is probably losing overall efficiency—using more and more fuel to heat the same amount of water. Bills will only continue to climb through the winter, as the unit ages and your hot water demands increase.
- Watch Out for Hard Water: Signs of hard water include white marks on silverware and taps, laundry that feels scratchy instead of soft, and even dry skin on the face and body. If you suddenly start experiencing these issues, there could be a buildup of lime—a calcium-containing inorganic mineral—inside the tank. In addition to unsightly stains and uncomfortable skin and clothing, lime buildup is bound to reduce efficiency and shorten the lifespan of your water heaters internal parts and pieces.
- Listen for Strange Sounds: Unfamiliar noises coming from your water heater typically indicate sediment buildup. This is a serious problem that will eventually lead to costly repairs or even premature replacement if it is not addressed. Fortunately, it’s easy to flush your water heater tank; doing so at least twice a year will help to largely avoid this issue.
- Keep Track of Its Age: On average, a standard storage water heater will last about 10 years assuming it is properly maintained by a professional. Once you pass that decade mark, investing in a replacement water heater usually makes more sense than repairing.
Expert propane water heater installation in North Jersey or Lower New York State
If you’re experiencing these or any other problems, it could be time to replace your water heater. The experts at the Bolkema Fuel Company will help you choose a model that’s the right fit for your space, use, and budget, then install it quickly and correctly so you can enjoy worry-free hot water coming from your taps and appliances.
In the market for a new water heater? We’ve got the energy-efficient, low-cost water heater options you need! Whether you need routine service or water heater repair, we are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Give Bolkema Fuels a call today.