7 Ways To Lower Your Heating Costs This Winter
It’s been a mild fall so far in northern New Jersey – but we all know that won’t last. Soon, cold days and nights will arrive – along with higher heating bills.
The good news is that with a little planning and some simple changes in your lifestyle, you can keep those bills as low as possible in the months ahead. Here are seven cost-effective ways to help you save energy this winter.
Ways To Save Energy At Home
- Take advantage of the sun – Keep windows open to absorb solar heat during the day, then keep that heat from escaping by closing curtains at night. Window treatments can help manage solar energy throughout the year.
- Seal air leaks – Keeping cold air out and warm air in will save you plenty over the course of a long winter. For a minimal investment in caulk, weatherstripping, and door sweeps, you can keep air leaks at bay. Consider adding insulation to your home, too – it’s one of the best bang-for-the-buck ways to save money on your energy bills.
- Close your fireplace damper – An open fireplace damper is like an open window; close it when you’re not using your fireplace.
- Keep vents and baseboards clear – Move any furniture, drapery or rugs that keep heated air from reaching your living space.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Proper use of a programmable thermostat will help you save as much as 10 percent on your heating bill, says the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Keep your filters clean – If you have a forced air system (one with vents rather than radiators or baseboards), clean filters will protect your furnace from overwork; that means lower bills and less maintenance for your equipment. Check your filters once a month, cleaning or replacing them as needed.
- Service your heating equipment – Skip annual heating maintenance and your equipment will lose about five percent efficiency per year while also leaving your boiler or furnace more vulnerable to breakdowns. An investment in routine professional heating service is a must-have that will pay for itself.
Be smart, stay warm, and save money this heating season with these energy saving tips. Want another smart tip? Choose Bolkema Fuel for expert heating oil service and heating oil deliveries in northern NJ. Contact us today to learn more!