Do I Need to Replace My Heating Oil Tank?
The average home heating oil tank will last somewhere between 15-30 years – although some insurance companies will require you to replace the tank between the 15-20 year mark for safety reasons.
If your oil tank is approaching that age, you’ll want to watch for signs that it might soon become problem for you (professional annual heating service – which includes an inspection of your tank – is highly recommended).
In the meantime, keep an eye out for some of the telltale signs of a problem with your tank, which include:
- Rust or excessive surface dents
- Wet spots on the surface of or underneath the tank
- Signs of Improper installation (tank is unstable or not sitting properly on its foundation)
Other things to check out:
If you have some familiarity with heating oil tanks, you can check for these problems – though we highly recommend you call us for an inspection if you have any concerns:
- Check the vent alarm. If it’s missing or if the whistle remains silent when the tank is being filled, your tank needs to be serviced.
- Make sure the fuel gauge isn’t stuck, frozen or cracked. Oil lines that run between the tank and furnace should be encased in protective tubing; even if these lines are under concrete or above ground, they should be protected.
- Look for include clogs in the vent pipe. Insect nests and snow or ice buildup can clog the vent pipe. If you notice that you are using more oil than usual, you will definitely want to get your tank checked.
If you need a new tank
If it’s time to replace your tank, let us know – we can remove your old tank and find a new heating oil tank solution that works for your space and budget.
Today’s double bottomed, reinforced, corrosion resistant, eco-friendly heating oil tanks are a far cry from the old behemoth in your basement. And if you want that last measure of peace of mind, we offer ProGuard insurance that will cover you in the unlikely event of a leak.
Avoid costly cleanups from an old heating oil tank! Contact Bolkema today to sign up for a heating service plan or a FREE estimate on a new heating oil tank for your home!