Preventing Fuel Run-Outs
Life is busy these days – and the busier it gets, the easier it is to forget the little things, like checking the gauge on your heating oil tank.
The problem is that running out of heating oil isn’t a “little” thing.
Besides the inconvenience and dangers of being without heat in freezing weather, run-outs can lead to other, bigger problems. When your furnace or boiler starts draining oil from the bottom of your tank, for example, sludgy sediment can clog heating filters and fuel lines, decreasing efficiency and potentially leading to a costly heating system repair. If you go without heat for too long, you could easily end up with frozen water pipes – a problem that could end up costing thousands of dollars in flood damage and could even lead to a mold problem down the road.
The bottom line: running out of heating oil is something you really want to avoid!
The good news is there are some simple things you can do to avoid a heating oil run-out in your Northern New Jersey or Rockland / Orange County home:
- Choose automatic delivery – With automatic heating oil delivery, we will estimate your delivery time based on your past usage and the current weather, then schedule your heating oil delivery when your tank is about one-quarter full. You don’t have to look at your gauge or even call us for a delivery!
- If you choose to continue Will Call heating oil delivery, monitor your fuel gauge regularly, especially during a cold snap.
- Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner if it is really cold). Don’t wait until the last minute – instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Consider installing an electronic tank gauge to monitor your fuel levels.
- If you have an outdoor heating oil tank, secure it to prevent theft.
If you do run out of fuel…
If the worst happens and you find yourself with no heating oil, don’t panic…our delivery crews are available 24/7 for no-heat emergencies.
In the meantime:
- Take immediate steps to retain whatever heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other ways to heat your space, such as fireplace, propane space heater, or electric heater, use them.
- NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Call for an emergency heating oil delivery at 1-800-431-3835.
Getting low on heating oil? Our experts will take care of any problems that arise and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm. Contact us today to schedule a heating oil delivery, or to become a Bolkema Fuel Company customer.