Save Money on Your Cooling Bill with These Energy Efficiency Tips
Hot, sticky Bergen County days and nights are just around the corner – and with it come summer A/C energy bills. Here are some cost-effective tips to keep those bills under control without sacrificing comfort for your family.
- Seal window and door leaks – Weatherizing is one of the best bang-for-the-buck energy efficiency investments you can make for your home. Simple door brushes, caulk and weather stripping can take a surprising bite out of your monthly bills by helping cool air stay in your home.
- Invest in reflective window treatments – Sun-exposed houses with large windows can really heat up during the day, increasing your home’s cooling load and making your A/C have to work hard to keep pace. Reflective or light-blocking window treatments can cut down that greenhouse effect.
- Become a fan of fans – Ceiling fans are a great complement to central air conditioning: moving air can feel up to four or five degrees cooler, which means you don’t have to run your A/C as high to feel comfortable. Attic fans are great, too, since they draw out trapped hot air and make the home easier to cool.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Why pay to cool the house when no one is home or when you’re asleep? A programmable thermostat’s automation features can save you 10 percent or more on your annual energy bills.
- Maintain your A/C equipment – Air conditioners become less efficient over time – especially if you skip annual maintenance (hint: don’t!). If your home cooling system is 10 years old or more, it might even be more cost effective to replace your unit with a new, high efficiency model.
Looking for other ways to save money on home heating and cooling systems? We can help! Contact us today to learn more, or to get a FREE estimate on a new cooling system for your Bergen County home.