Seven ways to stay cool for less this summer
Nothing is cooler than stepping into an air conditioned home in summer – except finding ways to keep that home cool for less money.
As we speed toward the dog days of 2018 here in Northern Bergen County, here are seven things you can do to keep cool for less cash in the months to come.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat –If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, get one…it will pay for itself in one year if you use it correctly, and you’ll enjoy that same savings for decades after. If you have one but don’t use it, take the time to learn how…it can save you 10 percent or more on your cooling and heating bills.
- Aim for moderate temps – The most important factor in feeling cool is not the actual temperature of the room, but the contrast in air temperature between inside and outside your house. On hot days, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) recommends a temperature setting of 78 degrees when people are home to get the best balance of cool comfort and cost effectiveness.
- Keep the air moving – A ceiling fan can make a room feel cooler simply by circulating cool air – which means that when you use it in tandem with your A/C, you can set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would. Just make sure to adjust your fan rotation so it turns counter clockwise, drawing heavier cool air up into the room (see your owner’s manual for instructions).
- Check your filter regularly –A clogged filter can add 10 percent to your cooling bill AND reduce the lifespan of your heating system by putting unnecessary wear and tear on your equipment. Check your filter at least once a month during the summer, changing (or cleaning) it when needed.
- Keep your A/C compressor clear – A/C condenser coils can become dirty and blocked, which makes your unit work harder to perform the same job. Your home’s dryer vents, falling leaves, and even lawn mower debris can all block airflow around the condenser; remove debris and trim back foliage at least two feet. For a more thorough system cleaning, see #6 below.
- Get your annual tune-up – Routine air conditioner service will not only help spot potential problems, but will also increase the lifespan and energy efficiency of your equipment. An annual tune-up from Bolkema will help keep your A/C running like clockwork year after year. Want an even better value? Sign up for a Bolkema AC Service Plan, which includes an annual tune-up, repair discounts, priority service, and more.
- Upgrade when you can –A new, high-efficiency air conditioner can save you 30 percent or more on your monthly energy bills – enough to offset the cost of a new A/C in just a few years. In the meantime, you’ll get a more comfortable home and the peace of mind of new equipment and warranty coverage.
Did you know that Bolkema specializes in SuperPak air conditioning systems – a super-efficient system designed for small duct and no duct installations? The SuperPak removes up to 30 percent more humidity than traditional systems, increasing comfort without the need to lower the thermostat.