Summer energy efficiency tips for your Northern NJ home
…but just remember to do it smartly. Try these 10 cost-effective tips to help you cool your northern New Jersey home for less this summer.
- Cool only the rooms you need – If you have central air conditioning, close vents in rooms you don’t use, or consider installing an HVAC zoning system. Close vents in your basement, which is insulated and probably cool enough on its own.
- Minimize use of heat-producing appliances – Reduce or avoid using ovens, clothes dryers, and other heat-making appliances, especially on the hottest days.
- Use your thermostat – Use your programmable thermostat to run your house slightly warmer when no one is home: you can expect to save about 3-5 percent per day on air conditioning bills for each degree you raise the thermostat, says the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- Target 78 degrees – When you’re home, aim for a temperature of about 78 degrees – a number the Department of Energy says represents the best balance of comfort and energy savings.
- Use ceiling fans – Good airflow is a key to feeling cooler: by running ceiling fans, you can raise your thermostat by about four degrees with no loss of comfort. See #3 above for how much that can save you!
- Be vigilant with your air filters – A clogged air filter cuts airflow, causing your air conditioner to work more than needed to keep you comfortable. Check your filter once per month, replacing it as needed.
- Insulate – Without sufficient insulation, summer heat will simply move through your exterior walls, further taxing your A/C and raising your cooling bills.
- Get reflective – Window treatments that reflect solar heat can reduce your home’s cooling load. Check out this Department of Energy link to learn more about energy saving window treatments.
- Maintain your cooling equipment – Regular, professional A/C maintenance won’t just keep your cooling equipment running better, it will also help prevent premature equipment breakdown.
- Make smart A/C upgrades – A new high-efficiency air conditioner can save you 30 percent on your monthly bills compared to your older model, which means it will pay for itself in just a few years.
Our experts can help you choose a cooling system that’s right for your home, budget and lifestyle, with a range of quality options available from SpacePak. We’ll help you sort through your rebate options, too so you’ll get the most for your money.
Contact Bolkema today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a new high-efficiency cooling system for your NJ home!